Saturday, January 7, 2012

Passion 2012

Brian and I have had the wonderful opportunity & blessing to be involved in teaching our church's college-aged Sunday school class for the past 2 years. This year, a couple of our students asked if we could take a group to the Passion conference in Atlanta. Brian & I had never been or really heard a lot about Passion (I know, we have been living under a rock). After we researched ticket prices, availability & hotel rooms, we decided to go. We took 23 people with us, 6 adults & 17 students. I thought for sure I would be in tears by the second day away from Harrison. I have never left him for more than a day or two before. I missed him like crazy, but I absolutely needed the indescribable worship experience I had at Passion. I seriously can not describe how amazing the speakers, songs, concerts were. When Brian & I agreed to go, I knew I would have a good experience but never did I imagine receiving the experience that God gave me. I think 45,000 people in one place, lifting up the name of Jesus is one of the most incredible things I will ever witness on earth. I can't count the number of times I cried in those 4 days - tears of joy & sorrow, but mostly joy.
We were asked to bring socks & towels to donate to the homeless people of Atlanta. These poor college students donated 36,000 towels & 156,000 pairs of socks. The focus this year was on slavery. There were several videos we watched that had statistics & interviews of people who had been slaves. Currently there are 27 million slaves in the world, which is the highest number ever. The students at Passion gave $3,066,670 to end slavery!! In 4 days!! Granted, there was one donor in attendance who gave $500,000, but still! How amazing is that! The very last day, the Passion workers took up an offering to help offset the cost & to help with Passion Vancouver in March & other world tour locations. The students donated again - $148,000!
The speakers we saw were Louie Giglio, Beth Moore, Franchis Chan, John Piper, Christine Caine. All were awesome! Beth Moore was probably my favorite. The concerts/singers we saw were Chris Tomlin, Christy Nockels, David Crowder Band, Lecrae, Charlie Hall, Hillsong United, Matt Redman, Kristian Stanfill. I will admit to not staying at the late night concerts but for a few songs. Our first session started every morning at 9am, the last session every day started at 11:30pm. That makes for a long day for this mama who is used to going to bed by 10 every night! I hung in there as long as I could. I can't decide who my favorite was music-wise because they were all amazing! It was pretty cool to be in attendance at David Crowder Band's last concert.


inside the Dome during one of the sessions

the hand put up outside the dome after the donations started

with a few of the girls standing in front of some of the bags of socks

We are so very glad that we got to bond more with our students who went with us. I definitely hope they want to go to Passion 2013 (hint, hint). If they don't, Brian & I may sign up to be volunteers!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lou! Glad yall loved Passion! I went when we were in college and loved it! This year my friend Kayla went so I was kinda keeping up with it! I watched some of the live stream! SO AWESOME!! Anyways, I aam going to have to figure out a way to go next year also!! Lov ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say I am jealous that you were able to go might just be the biggest understatement yet! Was able to catch the last session on livestream, and actually got the digital all access pass to be able to hear more! I want to figure out a way to go next year! (Oh, and I miss y'all!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you guys taught the college students group there! Brent and I teach the college students here. We sent 24 people to Passion. Brent and I didn't get to go, but our students had an amazing time!!!

    ReplyDelete